The applications for the 2016-2017 Get Engaged term are now closed. Check back Spring 2017 for the next application cycle.
The Get Engaged program is an innovative program from the City of Seattle and the Accelerator YMCA. We place emerging leaders on 18 different public boards and commissions each year and support their development of public leadership competencies.
Applying for Get Engaged:
- Review ELIGIBILITY, PREPARING TO APPLY and COMMITMENT information below.
- The application for Get Engaged 2016 – 2017 is now available!
Download Application here: GE Application 2016-17
Submitting Application: Please email completed application & resume to email@example.com, with the Subject heading FirstName LastName – 2016-17 Get Engaged Submission. PLEASE NOTE: emails sent without this subject heading will not be received.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for assistance with your application.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS MAY 31, 2016
|April 4-May 4, 2016||Information sessions|
|May 31, 2016||Application deadline|
|June 2016||Selected applicants interviewed|
|August 2016||Positions offered to top candidates|
|September 2016||Get Engaged term begins & Orientation|
For the 2016-2017 program, applicants must be 18-29 years old on September 1, 2016 when the term begins. For most Boards/Commissions, applicants must be Seattle residents.
PREPARING TO APPLY:
Get Engaged members are selected through a highly competitive application process. Before applying:
- It is highly recommended that you familiarize yourself with the committees, priorities, and work plans of the Boards/Committees you are interested in. Read a brief summary of the Boards and Commissions here, and find more detailed information through Seattle’s Boards and Commissions web page.
- The Get Engaged program and the City of Seattle suggest that all applicants attend at least one meeting of the Boards/Commissions for which they are applying. Meeting times vary.
1. Board commitment: Get Engaged participants are appointed to serve a 1-year term (September 2016 – August 2017) as a full voting member on a participating City Board or Commission. Get Engaged members agree to attend regularly scheduled board meetings and contribute at least 6-10 hours each month to committee meetings. Note that the Design Commission, Landmarks, Planning and Pioneer Square Boards often require more time commitment than other participating Boards.
2. Get Engaged commitment: In addition to board service, Get Engaged participants:
- Meet with the Get Engaged team once a month for skill-building, current issue discussions, and an opportunity to reflect on the experience. Attendance is expected at the monthly Get Engaged meetings. Only two meetings may be missed during the Get Engaged term.
- Participate in at least one youth-focused program during the year (i.e. speak to a group of interns about your board experience, facilitate a workshop, etc.).
- Connect with PugetSoundOff.org, a City-funded social platform created to enhance interaction between Seattle youth and government.
The Get Engaged program is designed to increase youth engagement within Seattle. Get Engaged commissioners have an opportunity to further expand youth participation by sharing their experiences and developing conversations through PugetSoundOff.org and other supportive programming.