The application for the 2017-18 year will be available here April 1st through May 19th, 2017.
The Get Engaged program is an innovative program from the City of Seattle and the Accelerator YMCA. We place emerging leaders on 19 different public boards and commissions each year and support their development of public leadership competencies.
Applying for Get Engaged:
- Review ELIGIBILITY, PREPARING TO APPLY and COMMITMENT information below.
- Attend an info session to get more information and ask any questions you may have (not required, but recommended.)
- Apply between April 1st and May 19th, 2017.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for assistance with your application.
|April 6-May 11, 2017||Information sessions|
|May 19, 2017||Application deadline|
|June-July 2017||Selected applicants interviewed|
|August 2017||Positions offered to top candidates|
|September 2017||Confirmation & Orientation|
For the 2017-2018 program, applicants must be 18-29 years old on September 1, 2017 when the term begins. For Design Review Boards, applicants must be Seattle residents.
PREPARING TO APPLY:
Get Engaged members are selected through a highly competitive application process. Before applying:
- It is highly recommended that you familiarize yourself with the committees, priorities, and work plans of the Boards/Committees you are interested in. Read a brief summary of the Boards and Commissions here, and find more detailed information through Seattle’s Boards and Commissions web page.
- The Get Engaged program and the City of Seattle suggest that all applicants attend at least one meeting of the Boards/Commissions for which they are applying. Meeting times vary.
1. Board commitment: Get Engaged participants are appointed to serve a 1-year term (September 2017 – August 2018) as a full voting member on a participating City Board or Commission. Get Engaged members agree to attend regularly scheduled board meetings and contribute at least 6-10 hours each month to committee meetings. Note that the Design Commission, Landmarks, Planning and Pioneer Square Boards often require more time commitment than other participating Boards.
2. Get Engaged commitment: In addition to board service, Get Engaged participants:
- Meet with the Get Engaged team once a month for skill-building, current issue discussions, and an opportunity to reflect on the experience. Attendance is expected at the monthly Get Engaged meetings. Only two meetings may be missed during the Get Engaged term.
- Connect with other Seattle young adults in person and/or via social media, to promote civic engagement.